Saturday, August 7, 2010

34 Weeks- 38 Days to Go!

Baby now weighs as much as a cantaloupe!
Your baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. His fat layers — which will help regulate his body temperature once he's born — are filling him out, making him rounder. His skin is also smoother than ever. His central nervous system is maturing and his lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies. Baby can recognize and react to simple songs...time to start practicing your lullabies! In fact, baby will recognize frequently sung tunes after birth and probably find them soothing. Less cute news: He now urinates about one pint per day. Get the diapers ready!

How far along? 34 weeks 4 days
Pregnancy Symptoms: Swelly, achey and lazy! This week i've also had menstrual-type cramping, pelvic pressure, and more Braxton-Hicks contractions. It sent me on an "emergency" trip to the doctor, but more on that later.
I Wish I'd Known...: Just how much stuff a baby requires. An average of 3-5 outfits and 10-12 diapers PER DAY?! That's crazy!! At least i have an excellent supply thanks to all my awesome friends, family, and co-workers.
Best moment this week: My second baby shower was AMAZING! Robyn and Amanda did such a great job. There was a bunch of yummy food again but this time i brought to-go containers. I've had leftovers all week!
Worst moment this week: A rough week at work (the first week back to school=germy kiddos) coupled with cramps and pressure. Then to top it off my fridge suddenly stopped working and we had to scramble to get a new one. It should be delivered tomorrow, but i'm worried it won't fit through the narrow door.
Movement: Lots of movement this week. Peanut seems to be squirming and rolling and trying his hardest to get comfy. I think his growth spurt is starting to make it a tight fit for him.
Food cravings: Fruits and veggies, particularly peaches and apples.
What I miss: Relaxing and watching my shows without a care in the world. Instead i'm constantly trying to multi-task to get all the stuff done that's been piling up. I feel like there's too much to do "before the baby comes." I'm stressed!
What I am looking forward to: Bedrest....maybe. My doctor has written me out of work and on bedrest starting September 1st. If i have to be on strict bedrest where i can only get up to go to the bathroom i'll be seriously upset. If, on the other hand, i have to put my feet up every hour to help with swelling but can play catch-up on my big to-do list then i'll be happy. Ish. I'm still huge and whiny and don't feel like doing anything. :)
In Other News:
   Baby Ryan is up to TWENTY burgers now! We've reached 5 pounds!! In just a week and half he'll be up to 6 pounds, but i feel like he must be much bigger than that already. I'm pretty sure i'm growing a little elephant. Maybe a teacup elephant?
   I had my 34 week checkup on Monday. As usual i drank a gallon of water before going because they always take a urine sample and i'm supposed to stay extra-hydrated while it's 200F outside. I go check-in and am patiently waiting my turn, legs crossed to keep from leaking, when the office manager announces to the waiting room "We don't have running water because someone hit a hydrant, so all the bathrooms are out of order" I start sweating a little bit. I've held it awhile at work, i can do this! Maybe...if i don't move too much and keep my legs crossed. They finally call me back and do a rush-checkup. Things are still looking pretty decent. Blood pressure is 122/82, iron levels have increased to 10.8, and Peanut's little heart is bopping away at 132bpm. He's still head down and continuing to make my belly bigger. The doctor notices my swelling and plans to start my leave on September 1st. He says we'll re-evaluate at my next appointment and that they will start seeing me every week from now on. I grab my maternity leave paperwork and fly out of the office. I rush to Babies R Us where i'm meeting Ally and waddle as fast as is possible (with a huge belly and my legs tightly crossed) to the bathroom. Sweet relief! At least for the next 15 minutes...
  So things were looking good on Monday. But then i had to work the next 3 days. Kids were back in school and spreading germs like wildfire. We were SLAMMED and it was awful. I was already having some pelvic pressure and cramping, but by Wednesday night it had gotten worse. I was sure i wasn't in labor, but figured since i had Friday off i might as well get checked out. I made the mistake of calling to make an appointment Thursday morning before work. After describing my symptoms the nurse repeatedly *insisted* i come in right away, that i might be in pre-term labor. Now i've never had a baby before, but i'm pretty sure you aren't in labor for 4 days without progressively intense pain, contractions, or babies popping out. Anyhow, although i told her i had to work and couldn't come in until Friday she refused to give me an appointment. Luckily Chandra came to the rescue and covered for me for a couple hours. I hurried to the doctor and they did the usual blood pressure, urine, and weight check. All of those were normal, so the doctor did a cervical check. First of all, OUCH! I don't remember it hurting like that, and i'm sure not looking forward to it being done multiple more times. The doctor said my cervix has softened but i'm not dilated yet. Also, Ryan isn't very deep into my pelvis, which i guess means he hasn't dropped. If that's the case, i'm not looking forward to him dropping because i already feel like he's squishing my bladder to the size of a pancake! An hour later i'm back at work...and bleeding. It's just a little spotting that i attribute to the exam, but it still kinda freaks me out. Luckily it was gone by the next morning.
  So finally, FINALLY Friday rolls around and i'm going to sleep in and catch up on my backlog of to-dos. WRONG. We wake up Friday morning to find that the fridge has quit on us. All the things in the freezer are already melting. We throw on some clothes and rush to the store. After visiting multiple stores and much debating we finally settle on a french-door style fridge and barely make it into the last delivery slot. It will be delivered the next day. By this time it's 6pm and i haven't eaten since the night before. I'm pretty sure i haven't quite starved Ryan to death yet, but just to be on the safe side we head to Casey's (a home-cooking buffet) and i eat 3 plates full of food. Ryan enjoys this immensely, he's kicking like crazy. (Please don't call DFACS on me!) When we get home i go check on our poor old fridge....which is now working just fine. All the stuff in the freezer is frozen again. *sigh* Oh well, i was wanting a new fridge anyway!
  So that was my crazy-busy week and i'm hoping that this week will be the complete opposite. Cross your fingers!
BABY SHOWER!

No comments:

Post a Comment