Saturday, August 14, 2010

35 Weeks- 31 Days to Go!

Baby now weighs as much as a honeydew melon!
Your baby doesn't have much room to maneuver now that he's over 18 inches long and tips the scales at 5 1/4 pounds (pick up a honeydew melon). Because it's so snug in your womb, he isn't likely to be doing somersaults anymore, but the number of times he kicks should remain about the same. His kidneys are fully developed now, and his liver can process some waste products. Most of his basic physical development is now complete. From now on, baby's growth is mostly in the plumping up department -- though he won't get much longer, he'll put on a pound or more of baby fat before birth. (He's about 15 percent right now and will be about 30 percent by full-term.) His hearing is totally developed (tip: baby responds best to higher pitches), and his testes have probably completed their descent.

How far along? 35 weeks 4 days
Pregnancy Symptoms: Ouch. What the heck is this crampy pain? It's gotten a lot stronger and more often. And if i'm whining about this i don't want to know what contractions feel like! My leg swelling has gotten infinitely worse. I can't even read aloud without getting out of breath. On the flip side i feel Peanut moving around all the time and that's the best feeling in the world. It's going to be really strange not to feel it anymore after he's born!
I Wish I'd Known...: How uncomfortable and painful pregnancy would be the last month. The doctor wrote me out 2 weeks early and i feel like that should be NOW. I feel like i'm about to pop and this is only week 35. I wonder if the crampy pain may be related to my false contractions? I dunno, but i'll be talking to the doctor about it on Tuesday!
Best moment this week: I got some things accomplished! Jake installed the carseat and put together the stroller. It's really weird seeing a carseat every time i go anywhere. We figured out how to get a sheet on the pack 'n play. Trust me when i say, when they want a tight-fitting sheet it is a TIGHT fitting sheet. Jake cleaned up the house but it's already a mess again. And the fridge (very barely) fit in the kitchen!
Worst moment this week: I woke up a couple nights ago with really bad back pain and the usual cramps. I thought i might be in labor but i got out of bed and walked around a minute and felt a little better so i went back to sleep. I guess i just slept wrong or something.
Movement: Ryan is getting restless and impatient and he's taking it out on me! I'm constantly getting pummeled in the bladder, ribs and lungs.
Food cravings: My appetite has suddenly skyrocketed. Yesterday i decided to have oatmeal with raisins for breakfast. After finishing that i had a pack of crackers. Then i decided i wanted some fruit....so i ate 4 peaches. And i was hungry again just 2 hours later!
What I miss: Being able to finish a task without having to rest. I can't seem to do anything without having to put my feet up because of swelling, sit down because of cramping, or stop moving because i'm out of breath.
What I am looking forward to: Baby Ryan! I'm starting to get very impatient, but i can't believe he'll be here so soon! Shall we start taking bets on when i'm going to pop?
In Other News:
   Baby Ryan is up to TWENTY-TWO burgers now! We're well on the way to 6 pounds (if he's not there already) and he will be considered full-term in just 10 short days!! Is it weird that i still have problems imagining him as a real-life little baby?
  Every night Jake and I read information out of the parenting class books. I was too lazy to actually sign up for and attend any, but luckily Ally wasn't. She went to all the good classes and kept her baby instruction manuals from each of then, so i cheated and borrowed them from her. It's like a whole series of Babies for Dummies. Anyway, did you know that babies eat every 2-3 hours for TWO WHOLE MONTHS? How am i supposed to wake up, feed the baby, put the baby back to sleep, and get some shut-eye myself before the next feeding occurs? That leaves me like 30 minutes of sleep before i have to repeat the process!! So on a completely, totally, in no-way related note....i am now accepting your applications for Peanut Nanny. Don't worry about resumes and qualifications. As long as i'm not sleeping only 30 minutes at a time you're hired. :P
  Between the 10-12 diaper changes, 3-5 outfit changes, and feedings every 2 hours....when am i going to be able to watch my Tivo?! Isn't maternity leave supposed to be this giant vacation where me and Baby Ryan get all kinds of lazy time to go walking and watch our shows and take nice, long, relaxing naps? That was kind of what i was planning on. The internet told me that babies sleep 16 hours a day, they failed to mention it's only 2 hours at a time! Somehow i'm starting to get the impression that babies are NOT just like hairless kittens that sit quietly and watch tv with me.
  I started packing my hospital bag. So far it contains shampoo and conditioner. I can't think of anything else to put in it that i won't be using between now and then! I hope i'm calm enough that i can shower and pack my bag when i go into labor. Jake seems to be completely calm about the whole thing. He acts as if nothing will freak him out. I hope that's true, but i'm really curious to see how he reacts once i'm actually in labor!
  

2 comments:

  1. 1. " I got some things accomplished! Jake installed the carseat and put together the stroller."...sounds like *Jake* got some things accomplished.
    2. "Ryan is getting restless and impatient and he's taking it out on me! I'm constantly getting pummeled in the bladder, ribs and lungs.... On the flip side i feel Peanut moving around all the time and that's the best feeling in the world. It's going to be really strange not to feel it anymore after he's born!"....dont worry, youll still feel it - lucas is STILL kicking me regularly.
    3. " Being able to finish a task without having to rest."...youll never get this back. it just changes to not being able to finsh a task w/o having to get a bottle/change a diaper/pull a finger out of an outlet/etc
    4. my bet is sep 15
    5. no i couldnt imagine lucas as a real baby either - even when he was first born it all seemed so surreal
    6. youll have plenty of time to watch your tivo - thats what you do while youre stuck sitting still breast feeding for 45 mins alll the time
    7. he'll sit quietly and watch tv with you...until he discovers crawling and walking
    8. dont forget to pack that teddy bear for the hospital
    9. guys dont freak out until stuff is happening at the time...actually paul didnt ever freak out about anything
    10. i dont know if you can shower and pack your bag while in labor. i thought id hve time to shower, shave my legs, etc because it takes so long. but then i spent the entire time worrying and going "am i in labor??" rather than doing that other stuff. i did have time to pack my bags tho. im just saying i wasted a lot of time trying to figure out if i was in labor to actually do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 11. your picture looks fake. it looks like you shoved something up your shirt

    ReplyDelete