Friday, June 18, 2010

27 Weeks: THIRD TRIMESTER!

Baby now weighs as much as a head of cauliflower!
This week, your baby weighs almost 2 pounds (like a head of cauliflower) and is about 14 1/2 inches long with his legs extended. He's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing his eyes, and perhaps even sucking his fingers. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. While his lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if he were to be born now. Chalk up any tiny rhythmic movements you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and they don't bother him, so just relax and enjoy the tickle. Baby's lungs are going through some major developments these days, which (combined with the opening of previously plugged nostrils) means he's now able to practice inhaling and exhaling. The lack of air in your womb means every "breath" is filled with amniotic fluid, but hey -- it's progress.

How far along? 27 weeks 3 days
Pregnancy Symptoms: I have hiccups...in my belly. I had assumed the little bubbly flutters i was feeling were just the baby moving around, but after further reading i'm actually feeling Ryan's hiccups! How cute is that?! I'm also quickly approaching critical cankle level. Pretty soon my legs will be one hairy, pale-white, spider-veiny, chubby, swollen hot mess. Ah, the joys of pregnancy. I've noticed that my belly is now big enough that i lean backwards when standing up so that i don't topple onto my face. I'm really having issues getting up from *anywhere* lying down. To get out of bed i have to just roll off the side and hope i land on my feet and not my face...
I Wish I'd Known...: That the "giant and miserable" part starts waaaaaay earlier than anyone told me. Up until now i was thinking "this isn't *too* bad, i can do it". But now that i'm unable to get up and down, bend down, bend over, or see ANYTHING other than my belly it's starting to get cumbersome and not so much fun. I seriously don't know what's going to happen when my belly grows even more!
Best moment this week: I'm approaching the finish line!! I have succeeded in reaching the 3rd (and FINAL) trimester! Although September seems far away, it's less than 3 months, only 85 days away 'til D-Day!!
Worst moment this week: Grandmom was having some abdominal pain and had to go to the Emergency Room (she's doing better now). While waiting in line to check-in at the ER a nurse took one glance at me and asked "Do you need to check into Labor & Delivery?!" I almost grabbed my belly and started panting but i figured they'd just kick us out once they discovered i was faking it just to get Grandmom seen faster. About half an hour later in the waiting room an ER patient asked "Are you here to have the baby?"....i guess the days of hiding my Peanut belly are behind me. Wayyyyyy behind me.
Movement: Still muted kicks and hiccups most of the time. Occasionally i'll get some hard punches. My favorites are when Ryan sits on my bladder.
Food cravings: Sweets! I'm craving red meat a lot more all of a sudden, but i'm trying not to eat it too often. I have a special fondness for Jake's spaghetti meat-sauce but i'm going to stop talking about it now because i'm drooling all over the place.
What I miss: Mobility. I feel so useless, i can't do anything anymore. I basically burst into tears every time i drop something. And hello, have you met me? I'm clumsy and dropping things is my forte.
What I am looking forward to: Next week is going to be super busy. Monday i have my 28 week checkup, Wednesday i meet the pediatrician for an "interview" and Saturday we take a tour of the hospital. This is in-between working all week. I'm going to be hurting this time next weekend...
In Other News:
   Ok i'm not a hugely adventurous veggie person. I don't think i've ever held a cauliflower. However, i *do* know that 2 pounds is the same as EIGHT quarter-pound burgers from Wendy's. Peanut weighs as much as 8 burgers!! I think from now on i will keep you updated on how many burgers the baby weighs. It's something we can all relate to, so it only makes sense. (Two pounds is also the weight of the chicken breast i just bought and it's heavy!) By the time all is said and done Ryan will weigh as much as THIRTY burgers or more. Craziness! Grow, Ryan, grow!

4 comments:

  1. your tummy is officially sticki9ng out further than your boobs, but dont worry, it still has plenty more to go. be sure to tell me when you start getting those awesome tiger stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a special fondness for Jake's spaghetti meat-sauce but i'm going to stop talking about it now because i'm drooling all over the place.

    That sentence is wrong because I'm sure at this stage in your pregnancy, Jake's meat-sauce is the last thing you're are thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you mean by tiger stripes??

    ReplyDelete
  4. stretch marks up and down your tummy

    lawlz @ paul

    ReplyDelete