Baby's now the size of a peach!
Your fetus is forming teeth and vocal cords...savor this, their nonfunctional phase. And intestines are in the process of moving from the umbilical cord to baby's tummy -- much more convenient. Fingerprints have formed on your baby's tiny fingertips, her veins and organs are clearly visible through her still-thin skin, and her body is starting to catch up with her head — which makes up just a third of her body size now. If you're having a girl, she now has more than 2 million eggs in her ovaries.
How far along? 13 weeks 2 days
Pregnancy Symptoms: Starting to ease up....dare i hope that the "golden" second trimester will be good to me?
Sleep: i'm supposed to be sleeping on my left side but i HATE it! I guess i'm sleeping on my arms or something because they keep falling asleep and the tingling and numbness wake me up. I've tried curling up with a pillow but it doesn't help.
Best moment this week: seeing Peanut at the ultrasound!
Worst moment this week: i'm torn about whether i'm glad i did the NT scan. I got to see Peanut dancing all over the place and got a really cute picture, but waiting this week for the test results is absolutely killing me. I really hope the risk ratio isn't too bad because i don't think i can handle any more tests. At the moment i'm hoping i can skip the Quad screen and never see the perinatologist again.
Movement: Peanut moves all over the place! I can't wait to feel the baby kicking.
Food cravings: Yoplait Smoothies! They're a new frozen-food item (fruit and yogurt you blend yourself) and they're sooo good, good for you, and count toward my fruit and calcium daily requirements
Gender: now i'm thinking boy
What I miss: pregnancy before tests
What I am looking forward to: i'm considering going to the 3D ultrasound place at 16 weeks (that's in only 2.5 weeks!!) to find out the gender and get a DVD since the perinatologist didn't do recordings. It would be the standard black and white 2D though. I can't decide if i should because if i wait 2-3 more weeks i'll find out from the OB or perinatologist anyway. What do you think?
In Other News:
I'm starting "Bump" pictures this week. Here's what Peanut makes me look like at 13 weeks 2 days. I look like i just stuffed my belly full of donuts!




Why do you have to lay on your left side? I have never heard of that. Oh and I think you need to QUIT BEING PARANOID and just wait. One more question: Is a perinatologist just a specialized OB?
ReplyDelete1) "Perinatologist: An obstetrical subspecialist concerned with the care of the mother and fetus at higher-than-normal risk for complications." It's comparable to a neonatologist vs pediatrician.
ReplyDelete2)"Sleeping on your side is best while you're pregnant. In particular, sleeping on your left side may benefit your baby by improving blood flow – and therefore nutrients – to the placenta. It also helps your kidneys efficiently eliminate waste products and fluids from your body, which in turn reduces swelling in your ankles, feet, and hands."
See we were always told that you (mother) are always put more at risk for a DVT and things like that from the left side because thats the natural tendency for the baby/uterus to grow (at least I think that's the reason). either way it surprises me that they tell you sleep on that side. Maybe it doesn't matter until third trimester or so when baby/uterus is bigger. Why are you seeing a perinatologist in the first place? You probably talked about it in the blog somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look.
ReplyDeleteYou need to hurry up and start your OB internship so you can ask all this stuff for me! The perinatologist is the one that does NT scans and basically anything else that's not "normal". Insurance pays for the NT scan because Jake's cousin has Down Syndrome, so we decided to do it.
ReplyDeleteBelieve me I can't wait to be in OB either because that's my first clinical! Here's my beef with the whole down's thing: It isn't really a genetic thing in the basic sense of the disease. It is a freak accident type thing where the chromosomes don't separate correctly so you end up with 3 copies of chromosome 21. I'm sure you know this, but just because Jake's cousin has it doesn't mean squat to the chances of your baby having it as far as we know. He is no more prone to having a baby with Down than you or I! In fact, a lot of it has to do with maternal age and since you are still young that is obviously not much of a concern. There may be some genetic link to it, but as far as I know its a totally sporadic thing. Either way I guess it can never hurt to check though. You aren't going to do a chorionic villous sample are you?
ReplyDeleteI'm too far along for CVS, they would want me to do amniocentesis. At this very moment i wouldn't feel comfortable doing either one, but i guess it would really depend on what could be wrong. If it was Down's risk then no, but if they needed to check for something serious then i'd consider it. Why what were you going to say about it? (I haven't really looked into it or researched it any because i had no plans to do either one)
ReplyDeleteYou and Kristyn should read this, it's a really good story and some awesome pictures: http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/nella-cordelia-birth-story.html
That's basically what I was going to say. There is just a fairly large risk of miscarriage with CVS so I would have been more than just curious for that if I were you, but amniocentesis is a lot lower of a risk so that's not as bad. When do you get your test results?
ReplyDeleteHopefully Monday put possibly not until Tuesday or Wednesday.
ReplyDeleteThought this was a really cool website :)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.pennmedicine.org/health_info/pregnancy/000088.htm
Very cool, thanks!! I'm just trying to figure out where those squished organs go toward the end...
ReplyDelete